Every lesson is built around your interests and English-learning goals. Lessons are 55 minutes long, and we meet online through a free video chat program, like Skype, Google Hangouts, or Appear.in. I give lessons between 3 pm and 4 am in the US central time zone (check how our time zones compare here). Depending on availability, we can meet up to four times a week. Skype calls can be recorded for your practice.
To stay organized, each students gets an online Student Records Spreadsheet, with entries every class for lessons, links, homework, and feedback.
I give three types of lessons:
Conversation and Grammar Lessons
Each conversation lesson revolves around helping you express yourself fluidly and comfortably in English. I design conversation lessons around topics that interest you and are relevant to your life. Each lesson begins with a short video about the topic, and includes a list of words, idioms, and phrases related to the topic, with definitions and examples. During our conversation, I provide written corrections and feedback, with a focus on helping you express yourself and gain the confidence to speak English fluidly.
Whenever grammar issues come up during conversation, I can help you correct them. We can also work more extensively on grammar, exploring any grammar concept in depth. Practice exercises can be assigned for each aspect of grammar we cover.
Writing and Test-Prep Lessons
These lessons cover writing for business and academic purposes, or preparation for exams like the TOEFL or IELTS. We will cover writing, reading, and listening sections of the test using high-quality test-prep material.
Writing homework is part of each lesson. I mark mistakes on essay homework outside of class, and return them to you for correction before we go over them together.
Pronunciation and Accent Reduction Course
This is an intensive course that focuses on all aspects of pronunciation and the American English accent. Read more about it here.
What do I need for an online lesson?
- A computer with a stable internet connection.
- A free VoIP program like Skype or Google Talk, or a browser that supports Appear.in, like Chrome, Firefox, or Opera. If you don’t have one already, you can download Skype here and Google Hangouts here.
- A webcam is helpful, although some students choose voice-only lessons.
- I highly recommend a headset with an integrated microphone, which will help you with audio quality and privacy. You can also use your computer’s built-in microphone and speakers, although audio quality might not be as good.
- And most importantly, the time and motivation to learn English!
How do I buy lessons?
- Buy lessons through the purchasing page.
- All payment is processed securely through Paypal.
- Make sure to read my terms of service.
When can I take a lesson?
- I teach between 3:00 pm and 4:00 am US central time (check how our time zones compare here).
How long are lessons?
- My standard lesson is 55 minutes long, but I am open to meeting for different lengths of time.